Monday, January 27, 2014

Lewis W. Hine

You might recognize this image of a Empire State Building construction crew eating their lunch on beam 1000 feet above 5th Avenue:

It was taken by Lewis W. Hine, who took this image from a basket, also suspended 1000 feet in the air. He was an American sociologist and photographer who photographed immigrants coming into Ellis Island, steel workers in Pittsburgh, red cross relief in Europe and drought relief in american South during the depression. The most influential body of work he accomplished was for the National Child Labor Committee from 1908-1920. His photos were instrumental in changing child labor laws in the US.







Lewis Hine's work was a precursor for documentary photography, something I greatly respect. I enjoy the creative process and artistic medium of photography, but what has driven my passion for photography is the influence it can have on society when its used for a purpose. When I feel emotionally drawn to an image and it inspires me to help Gods children I love the talent I have pursued. Lewis' work is amazing as a piece of art, but it's brilliant in how its influenced generations of children in America. I am overwhelmed at how far our country has come in 100 years, but I know there is so much yet to improve. As I think about what children face today my heart aches for the ones still facing poverty, starvation, physical and emotional neglect and abuse. What impact can I have on society in changing this? How can I use my camera as a tool for social reform? 
Lewis Hine is the kind of legacy I want to leave as a photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment