Sunday, September 2, 2012

Jay Maisel- artist

In my quest to find an artist to study for my homage assignment, I came across a print from Jay Maisel:


I have seen a lot of cityscapes but this one is phenomenal! How many opportunities does a person to get to see something like this, let alone take a picture of it? I have tried to capture moments of awe like this and I can never get it on camera just right (its one of my goals to accomplish in my lifetime). Every time I look at it I see something new. There is so much detail in the sky, in the water, surrounding  the buildings...And I love the organic feel of the sweep in the cloud line and the fog. This is a picture I would make a HUGE enlargement of and put behind my couch. 
Since I loved this picture of his so much I decided to look for more of his work. He has a website (www.jaymaisel.com) that gives a short bio and has some of his work, recent and past. 

Here's his bio from the website: "After studying painting and graphic design at Cooper Union and Yale, Jay Maisel began his career in photography in 1954. While his portfolio includes the likes of Marilyn Monroe and Miles Davis, he is perhaps best known for capturing the light, color, and gesture found in every day life. This unique vision kept him busy for over 40 years shooting annual reports, magazine covers, jazz albums, advertising and more for an array of clients worldwide. Some of his commercial accomplishments include five Sports Illustrated swimsuit covers, the first two covers of New York Magazine, the cover of Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue (the best-selling jazz album of all time), twelve years of advertising with United Technologies, and a litany of awards from such organizations as ICP, ASMP, ADC, PPA, and Cooper Union.
Since he stopped taking on commercial work in the late ’90s, Jay has continued to focus on his personal work. He has developed a reputation as a giving and inspiring teacher as a result of extensive lecturing and photography workshops throughout the country."
As far as his work goes...I wasn't really impressed with anything else! There were a few that had some good color and composition, but nothing really moved me. This one was cute:

But after looking through all his images on his website I decided he wasn't someone I wanted to create an homage for. Although his work is good, I wasn't inspired by any of it. Maybe you'll feel differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment