Thursday, September 20, 2012

Light Studio Demo



We got to set up a mock light studio in class and it really helped ease the overwhelming feeling I had experienced. Its simple in nature, but there are lots of details regarding bulbs, reflectors, backdrops, light boxes, etc. I'm excited to set up my next "studio session"!



I thought it was a precise process, but I learned you can do anything with the lights. Where you place them alters the feel of a photograph, but its entirely up to the photographer to determine where the lights go.







There are "recipes" galore on the internet for light arrangements. This is a link for adding a recipe app to your iphone:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scott-kelbys-lighting-recipes/id499033559?mt=8

 I really liked my teacher's favorite, the "clamshell". I tried to take a picture of it...






There is a soft box light above her head and one below her face. You have to get in between them with the camera.

This is the picture I got using the clamshell method (Debbie wasn't wearing makeup today and she was embarrassed but I think she's still beautiful).

I learned a lot about the strobe and model lights. I learned to NOT put the subject right in front of the backdrop, unless you want to see all the wrinkles! We learned about slaves and my "gotta try that" (aka gotta buy that) was the ability to connect to a laptop and see the image right away (you can see Kate's laptop on the stand). The benefit is the picture is accurate, unlike how you see it in the camera viewfinder. You know right away what the image looks like and can make adjustments. No more hoping you got a good shot.

Thanks Kate for showing us this!

2 comments:

  1. You are so welcome! May I use the image at the top on a flyer for my new special topics class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Do you want me to put it in your dropbox?

      Delete