Friday, November 30, 2012

Brian Twede- artist

Brian Twede is a commercial photographer and I chose him because, again, I wanted to look at something different. I can't save any images from his site, but you can go there and peruse yourself http://www.twede.com/gallery/other/

His images are bright, clear and obviously commercial. Some of them are cheesy, but they are for ads and brochures. I'm curious to see them as he took them, not the final product.
The food images are good, but I feel like I'm at Denny's looking at a laminated menu when I see them. I prefer the images done by Jennifer Silverberg, an artist who came to our classroom that blogged about previously. Her food images are more organic and actually make me hungry, for real food.

He has some Halloween images that I find appealing in an odd and can't really explain it kind of way. They are a little soft on the edges, which I typically see with baby pictures, but he did it on "scary" items and it has this weird but attractive quality. Those are the images I stared at the longest, trying to figure out how he could have done the lighting.

I also like reading the "bio" on photographers websites. I had to write one recently for my blurb book and it was harder than most essays I've done. And I like to see how photographers "sell" themselves on their website. Some are well written and some are desperate. Twede is in the middle. It felt more like a sales pitch and a plea for business. It wasn't bad, just more commercial than most I've read. Which is fitting because he shoots commercial...

No comments:

Post a Comment